Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I read the Roth FAQ, and I've been lurking for a while, but a grasp on the following issue still eludes me:

In 98 I converted a ~$20K IRA to a Roth IRA. All my contributions to the IRA were tax-deferred. I elected to take the ~$20K hit over four years, and basically added ~$5K to my income for '98.

My salary puts me in the 28% bracket. After reading here about the 20% rate for long-term capital gains, I got to wondering whether I over-taxed myself with the Roth conversion.

That is, almost all of the ~$20K IRA I converted was comprised of contributions I had made years ago.

- Shouldn't therefore most of the gain be taxed at the LT cap gains rate?

- If so, can I rectify this with an amended return?

- In the next 3 years, in addition to the 1040 long form, what extra form(s) should I be using to calculate LT gains?

PS: thanks for this and all your previous info. You posters are doing a real service here.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.