No. of Recommendations: 7
<I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder... getting my life back in order has been an ordeal beyond my wildest imagination.Several friends have lent (given) me $$$...they also helped me with a place to live...I will NEVER forget what they did for me...NEVER.>

Can I ever relate to this. My eldest daughter was also diagnosed as bipolar several years ago and once was hospitalized for 3 weeks. Helping her get her life back in order was "an ordeal beyond my wildest imagination." She lost her waitress's job and we kept her son. Becoming "parents" again was very, very hard for us: we didn't realize how set middle-aged parents can become when the nest is empty. Our new "dynamic" of relatively unentitled living unraveled. We dealt with (= paid) all her routine bills. Thank Heaven for an emergency fund.

The doctors released her once they were convinced a strong support system (= our house/us) was in place. Again, a daughter not yet entirely coherent and her son being in our home was a challenge. Our fears about her health, the sudden sharing of "space," and nervousness about willingness to stick to her meds was yet another test. She stayed two weeks, and the day I took her home, the bill for her confinement was in her mailbox. Though based on ability-to-pay, it was still an amount she just simply didn't have. When we were her age, we couldn't have afforded it, either. We paid the bill. All told, she took over three years to repay what it cost us and got a nice "rebate" at the end.

You said, "I will NEVER forget what they did for me." My daughter never has, either. It impressed upon her just how important an emergency fund really is, and like some of the posts today have indicated, your emergency fund may not wind up covering your own emergencies, especially those that evolve from love, family, and deep concern.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.