No. of Recommendations: 0
<1) I'm planning a $10k trip to Europe in 2 years. Where would be the most beneficial area to place this money until then?>

I would put the money in a C.D. that pays around 5% or a little more for such a short interval if you absolutely must go on that trip. If you would very much like to go on the trip, but risk the possibility of missing it to get a possibly greater return on your money, you might consider Vanguard (or similar) S&P500 index fund.

<2) I'd like to get some feedback on Schwab's Dow Dogs Unit Investment Trust due to be active soon. Would this be good long term nest for my retirement in 15 years? What would be better/safer? >

No: they surely will take a management fee. You can do it yourself for next to nothing. Read the 13 steps and invest in either the Foolish Four or the UV4* to get similar results without the management fees. N.B., you may prefer to use an 18-month interval for re-doing your investments in either of these schemes instead of the 12-month interval formerly used. First, if your money is not in an IRA, the taxes will be 20% instead of 28%, and second, it appears that an 18-month interval will have slightly better returns.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.