Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<Are wages earned while attending college as a student worker taxable?>

Of course they are! Otherwise we'd spend the rest of our lives going to college to avoid taxes ;)

However, you *may not* have to file if you meet certain requirements. These are listed under (you guessed it) "Filing Requirements" in the instruction booklet for the 1040/1040A/1040EZ tax returns. Pick one up at the post office or library and look at it.

The basic rule is that no return is necessary if you had under $6800 in income as a single filer, or under $4150 of *earned* income if someone (your parents) claims you as a dependent
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.