No. of Recommendations: 9
<Does that mean you think that accusations against Judge Kavanaugh's activities as a young man were off base as well?>

That all depends on who the intended target is.

With Beto: it is wrong.

With Kavanaugh: bring it all on.

You may notice that with the top three elected officials in the state of Virginia, even the most recent and specific claims of sexual assault against the Lt governor did not result in him being removed from office. Regarding the governor, while his law school yearbook photos may be 30+ years old, they were actually selected by him. There cannot possibly be any "I had no idea such photos existed or how they ended up on my page" defense.

It all comes down to how the media selectively frames a particular story.

I read an article the other day in our local paper. It was on federal subsidies of electric vehicles. While one may have an opinion on either side, the person who railed against ending or reducing the subsidies carried on far too much with blaming Trump for everything related to the issue. I stopped reading what he wrote and looked for a description of who this fool was. At the end of his piece he described himself as a "progressive journalist". Of course there is no such thing. Now one may be a passionate advocate for progressive causes. However, as soon as you become that, you are no longer a journalist, unless you decide to redefine the word.

There is always room for opinion pieces in a newspaper or a news broadcast. They should be clearly defined as such and not permanently find their way into almost every news story presented to the public.

In that same Sunday paper I mentioned (which BTW is the only statewide newspaper left in NJ) there was an innocent looking piece about the last lines in 15 well known novels. I figured that it was not a political piece. I was wrong. One of them featured the last line of Orwell's 1984 and the writer drew a direct parallel to America under a Trump presidency. Are you kidding me? I never realized that Trump was a totalitarian figure who ruled everything we did, felt and thought.

One common thread in all of this is that our paper (The Star Ledger) has less than half of its articles written by their own staff. Most of them have a byline from the Washington Post. We all know just how fair and open minded they are.

All I can say is that one should always have their BS detectors fully operational whenever they read or watch anything that comes from our so called mainstream media. Fake news is the dandelion of the media world except that it is to be found year round rather than seasonally.

BG
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.