Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 5
<Forgive me, but I have to take the 'gross majority' statement with a very large grain of NaCl. It's likely that expired visas ID a number of scofflaws**, but I'd bet green money that the simple walk on, no visa involved, are well into the majority. Maybe gross majority.>

You do not need to ask for forgiveness.<g>

They probably have a reasonable count somewhere of how many people have expired visas. Yet we have estimates of illegals residing here at somewhere between 11 and 21 million. That is a very wide range. There is no way that visa overstays are anywhere near the 21 million number.

When you do not have a firm number of one of the primary variables, I don't see how one can draw a conclusion from using the other number.

I do not disagree that something needs to be done with the visa overstays. Similarly, the e-verify hiring program needs to get front and center attention with serious penalties attached for those who flagrantly violate it either as employers or employees.

I also do not expect a wall to be 100% effective. It is not designed to be. It will act as a deterrent. I also expect a wall to be a component of border security. Manpower, technology and physical barriers should provide a meaningful solution to the problem of uninvited guests, violent criminals and entrenched criminal enterprises. I fully expect drug and human traffickers to keep working at beating the system. Making it more difficult for them is my preferred strategy.

I am still waiting for a final calculation on the return on investment America received from the $800 billion 2009 stimulus package. I suspect it is pretty close to the interest rate that the fed maintained for the better part of 8 years. This is my point of reference for ragging on the democratic leadership for their refusal to approve a $5B appropriation out of a $4T budget. They have a long history of approving huge expenditures for programs that have no fraud protections attached to them.

So my fellow readers, you will have to forgive me for not having any faith at all in their new found "morality" play. It just doesn't pass the smell test.

BG
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.