Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 44
<free markets work pretty consistently, so maybe we should try that approach for a change.>

Warrl, I have a lot of respect for you, but you are young and you have obviously never needed serious health care.

It is impossible, let me repeat impossible , to have a free market without price discovery and comparison.

It is IMPOSSIBLE, let me repeat, IMPOSSIBLE, to discover the cost of any procedure from a hospital, even for elective procedures. Even for simple elective procedures, let alone complex procedures such as surgery with a hospital stay and diagnostic tests. Try phoning the billing department and you will get ZERO information. Only a gobbldeygook of "we don't know what billing codes will be used...we don't know how your insurance company will reimburse..." even if you are calling a participating provider.

What about if you had an emergency? Someone else has already pointed out the absurdity of price shopping when you are dying.

I wish you the very best of continued good health. But please do not suggest that a free market works for health care when you have never tackled our #$%*ed up system.

Wendy
Print the post  

Announcements

This is a Politics Free Board
Politically charged posts are not permitted on the Metar Board. If you make a political post, and it is alerted, the post will be removed. Thanks!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.