Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<grump> ..i'll have to research since i've been converting Roth with that in mind.

Phil, as always, is correct. Income tax on inherited ROTH IRA distributions is possible, but is not as serious as it may first appear.

RMDs are required on inherited IRAs. A spouse who inherits an TIRA can transfer it to their name and avoid inherited RMD requirements. I believe, the same is true for a ROTH.

once again i looked at PUb.590.

Look like
• only way an inherited Roth is taxable (as income) is if it's less that five years old, and

• RMD (on inherited Roth) is like tIRA "as though ..owner died... before required beginning date" /but(?) "generally Roth must be distributed by the end of the fifth calendar year of the owner's death"

if i'm reading this correctly, i'm fine (this is one time, it's all about ME <g>) -- my sister is my only heir and she's likely to empty both accounts (IRA and Roth) ASAP .. so anything i can convert saves her taxes on the IRA

( assuming i've haven't spent it all on Twinkies or lost it all in the Market )
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.