No. of Recommendations: 1
<>..I don't think I want to be totally in equities at my age..

You will probably want to invest to be able to support yourself into your 90's so some of you money will be invested over 30 years, don't be overly conservative with the portion of the money that you will not be spending in over a decade from now. I would guess that sometime in the next few decades there will be at least some moderate inflation and bonds will be greatly hurt by inflation.

...mortgage...

In you planning don't forget that when you retire your mortgage and property tax deductions on your income tax will be worth less because you will likely be in lower tax brackets. You will also have less state income taxes to deduct so you may not even have enough itemized deductions to exceed the standard deduction. If this is the case then these deductions will have no value.

..bonds and my impression is they are not a great deal right now....
Yup, not much upside but lots of possible downside. In pains me to think of the clueless people who will be hurt when the rates go back up even a moderate amount.

Greg
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.