Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
<here's this interesting feeling that many humans
have>

Well, those of you who've encountered Christian Delusionists before recognize where I'm going with this. It's that old, familiar concept of the mind's need to seek something outside of the tangible and testable, arising in many more forms then Mr. McDan listed in his evocative post.

In medicine, we're taught that there are two basic types of diagnosticians: the splitters and the lumpers. I'm a lumper, and like to look for the single simple answer to explain the plethora of symptoms that any given person presents with.

When it comes to the concept of worship, I've been presented with lists of the various forms of worship, belief, religion, and deities that have focused people through time. Those who have no defined belief system may worship (obsession being the most extreme presentation) any number of other things... but we all function best with a focus. Gotta have a rudder.

If the principle holds true that the simplest answer is more likely than the complex one, then for the Christian, this nebulous "seeking of focus" that we all have is the vestigial remnant of a created "call to a relationship".

I cannot conjure up an evolutionary force that would drive us to seek a relationship with something beyond the current, best example of human development there is. Certainly not something beyond the visible or palpable because with evolution, that's all that has ever, or will ever exist.

I know, it's circuitous to premise a Creator and then call HIm the simple answer.
And I also know that if followed, my definitions, when applied to evolution, would have all who continue to worship be lower on the developmental scale than those who have evolved beyond this "mind glitch" that I call worship...

assuming they truly have evolved beyond it.

Call me delusional
but I believe that because I worship,
I find Mr. McDan's eternal
more frequently than those who don't.

I can't speak for other Christians,
particularly the Turn or Burn type
but all I wish
is that peace... the "eternal"
for those who don't have it.

-1A
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.