Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
<I am sitting on an over diversified a portfolio (27 stocks in all - far more than I can keep track of)>

27 stocks are too many to track for your entire portfolio, let alone your IRA. I think you do need to simplify.

At this point, it is clear that you need to make an important strategic decision before proceeding any further. You need to decide whether or not to keep your current advisor, get a new one or to go it alone. Going it alone does not have to be frightening or complicated as Chips has pointed out to you. The Vanguard S&P500 index fund is cost effective, easy to understand and will beat most actively managed funds over the long haul.

I would not discuss your concerns with your current advisor unless you are prepared to hear every possible reason under the sun why you should not leave him. He will not be objective as he has had a good ride up to now and would not want that to end. If you decide on a discount broker, you should be sure of the level of service you want before opening the account. The cheapest one may not be the best one for your needs. Regardless of your final decision it should be yours and yours alone.

BRG
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.