Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
<I think you should consider electing to forget the carrybacks and carry the NOL forward indefinitely. I seem to recall this topic came up when discussing your own situation.>

Yes, you're right. I did bring this topic up when discussing my own situation.

The CARES Act has an obscure provision that the only option is the 5-year carryback - UNLESS the taxpayer cited an obscure part of the tax code BEFORE 12/31/2020 to elect the carryforward. I did this for my joint tax return, making the election for the carryforward. The IRS has sent me a letter approving this.

Statement Regarding Net Operating Loss, Filed pursuant to section 301.9100-2
We elected to waive the carryback period under Section § 172(b)(3) under Rev. Proc. 2020-24 for the taxable year 2019 when the loss occurred. We are carrying the Net Operating Loss forward into 2020.

But it's too late for DS so her (my) only option is the carryback. That's why I had to do all the tax returns going back to 2014.

<Stories like this make me even more glad I'm retired.>

Bill, you can't imagine the extent of this mess.

Wendy
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.