Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
<I understand that carpet replacement would be maintenance but what if you ripped out the carpet and replaced it with hardwood floors?>

One of the things not really mentioned in this thread is that your question will likely end up as "much ado about nothing". You should know the area that you are moving into. You should also know what your long range plans are. I would keep records of the various permanent improvements I made, but I would not spend a whole lot of time worrying about it. The 500k exemption on gains for a couple would make much of this debate moot.

If you buy your home for 200k, it would need to sell for 700k before you would even need to take a pencil to paper. In that case if you had put 100k of permanent improvements into the house, you would have to sell it for 800k before taxes would become an issue (since your modified basis would now be 300k). Any costs of selling an 800k house would also lower your potential gain. With a 6% sales commision you would now have to exceed 850k on your sale price before CGs became an issue.

I know that I should include the usual disclaimer that congress always can come in and change the rules again. Still, I think that seeing the larger picture may save you from spending an inordinate amount of time worrying over the tracking of your expenses.

B
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.