Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
<i<So yea, I support the right to bear arms but I don't own a gun myself. There's too many situations where it isn't much help. That could change of course, but right now, I am just not that paranoid.

If I was, I'd own a gun whether it was legal or not so I don't really see what the beefs about gun rights are all about.

Wait, I'm a bit confused here... You don't have a problem with people owning guns for self-defense (even if it wouldn't help in all situations) and don't own one yourself. That part I get. But the whole "If people wanted guns they'd get them legally or not, so why worry about it?" bit is, well, perplexing.

People who obtain guns legally are law abiding people. Given the hoops you have to jump through to buy a handgun and carry it legally in most states, you have to be very willing to follow the law to do so! In other words, they go well out of their way to buy and possess guns legally, it would be much simpler and far less expensive to get one illegally.

On the other hand, people who will obtain guns illegally will do so regardless of the laws and penalties. Law abiding people aren't going to do that, which is why gun control laws take the guns out of the hands of the very people whom you want to have guns and leaves them in the hands of those whom you don't want to have them.

I'm happy that you feel secure where you live. I feel pretty safe at my house as well... but given my job I'm perfectly aware that criminals can strike anywhere at any time. Just this past week, in a "safer" city than the one I live in, a man and his pregnant wife were killed in their home by a parolee and his delusional girlfriend, who then killed another guy (with a gun stolen from a gun show) whose truck they stole and whose body the police found in the bed of said truck when the pair was caught.

Would a gun have helped to the dead couple? Maybe, maybe not, but I'd rather have it available as an option since there are no retakes in life. Not having one certainly didn't work out too well. They strangled the wife in front of the husband then hit him with the butt of an AK-47, injected his veins with bleach, shot him twice and wrapped him in plastic... so they could steal their car and sell it for drugs. This was in northern Macomb County, the far edge of the Detroit suburbs (I live on the other side of the metro area).

I don't think everyone is out to get me, but I do know that criminals don't give a rip about whom they rob and/or kill, and I'm just as likely to end up in their sights as anyone else. I'm not even all that worried about being robbed, you can buy new stuff. But there are some real sickos out there, in every city and town in the country really. I don't want to ever shoot anyone, but if I have to I will, and having laws that let me do so in those situations is certainly a good thing.

Mike
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.