Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< 1. First of all, I was reading in the info on IRAs that those eligible for an IRA were people earning income, etc., etc. If I am no longer earning income in the States can I still maintain an IRA?? >>


<< 2. As far as I understand, I won't be able to contribute to my IRA from Europe, correct?? >>

Possibly. There have been several threads discussing the ins and outs of this issue over on the Tax Strategies board. Check 'em out with a search on "foreign."

<< 3. I'm thinking about converting it to a ROTH. Since I can't contribute, wouldn't this be a better option for me?? >>

It might be. If you convert to Roth, the current value converted is taxable income to you in the year of conversion. You can read all about conversions in the Tax Strategies FAQ.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.