No. of Recommendations: 2
<<
33% (1 Vote)

I spend less than expected (in what areas?).
>>

Rather than doing what people expect people to do in retirement ---- travel, I look into my character and values for things I really want to do and am interested in doing.

My major activity is as a volunteer for the Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts, a cheap and rewarding activity.

I keep up with message boards like this one and provide advice on a message board for those who have furnaces or gas equipment thaty doesn't work, using knowkledge and experience from my former occupation.

And I go walking or bicycling pretty much every day.

Frugality is a core value of mine and a hobby as well. This morning I stoked up my wood stove instead of turning on the furnace despite freezing temperatures --- because I'm a firebug at heart and it's a hobby.

And gardening the past few years. I make blackberry jam from berries that grow abundantly and wil in Seattle, and make apple cider from untebnded apple trees along street ends and public rights of way.

I COULD spend a lot more money, but I'd be less happy if I did.

Seattle Pioneer
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.