Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< Approximately 5 yrs ago my father transferred ownership of his home to my brother and I. He is elderly and not in good health and we anticipate that he may have to leave the residence at some point in the near future due to his health, at which time the property would more than likely be sold. Can anyone advise what the tax implications of the sale would be, whether taxes can be avoided, etc. >>

Short answer: When you sell the property the difference between your net sale price and your father's basis will be a long-term capital gain to you and your brother.

Long answer: So much depends on information you haven't provided, e.g. value of the house, total assets, and long-term care insurance for starters. I would suggest you sit down with a lwayer who specializes in issues of the elderly, who can call in tax assistance if necessary.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.