Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
<<- Creating a pattern of intergenerational wealth so that every descendant can FIRE.
>>

Ummm. My older brother and I both retired at age 57.

My younger brother and his wife have led a responsible but middle class life, which doesn't contemplate early retirement. That's their choice.

My younger sister struggles to make ends meet from a couple of retail jobs. She'll need to work as long as she's physically able, and might need subsidies from myself and older brother.

In short, people make their own lives, and early retirement is a luxury for those who value it and can afford it.

<<- Hedging the investment strategy against possible FIRE threats. (Investing in health care products proportionally to offset healthcare costs).

- Dealing with the rising cost of fuel in a FIRE strategy.
>>

I made a conscious choice to hedge my energy use by purchases of gas, oil and utility stocks beginning in the mid 1980s. That strategy is working well.

However, the general recommendation is that there's a lot to be said for the wide diversification of index funds and such. My bank and insurance stocks are being hammered right now, Washington Mutual (WM) down 90% in the past year.

I've preferred making my own stock picks for nearly 30 years and done pretty well on the whole. But a bear market tends to expose the weaknesses in your plans.

I'm not anticipating problems to my retirement plans from investments, but you never know.

My backupo plan if I really get hammered is always to go back to work. As I noted before, early retirement is a luxuriy for those who can afford it. If you can't, keep working.

Seattle Pioneer
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.