Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< Dear all,

I am an experienced UK-based investor.

I want to start a Limited Partnership in the UK to invest other people's money. Like the "Buffett Limited Partnership" that Warren Buffett started in the 1950s.

I've searched for "limited partnership" on the US fool site (using ""), and it seems that this is still quite legal in the USA.

I wondered if anyone knows how I can run something like this is from the UK, perhaps offshore like the Isle of Man or Channel Islands?

I am not keen on starting an Investment Fund, as having investigated this, the cash and regulatory resources required rule it out. To begin with, I just want to have a legal framework to manage money on behalf of a few people.

Any Foolish advice or suggestions gratefully received. >>

Hello Fluiman and a Foolish Welcome to You!

I just got back from there. Since you are UK based UK law will control on this one. My best suggestion here is to find a solicitor who is qualified in issues related to investment and financial consulting.

Peter Lincoln
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.