Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< Due to the ever changing world of high tech employment, I had the opportunity to rollover funds from the 401K plan at my former employer and a mandatory lump-sum disbursement of my pension/retirement fund from another previous employer.

So, in February of 1999 I rolled over the entire sum into an IRA.

More good news, I got laid off at Christmas, leaving me with about $3,000 in that 401K plan.

QUESTION 1] Is there anything I need to report on my taxes with regards to the Feb 1999 rollover into an IRA? >>

You will receive a 1099-R showing the distribution. That amount goes on line 16a, zero on line 16b, and you write "rollover" next to line 16b.

<< QUESTION 2] What are my options with the $3000 in the 401K? I need to move it somewhere... >>

Your only non-taxable option is to do what you did before--move it into your conduit IRA.

<< QUESTION 3] Can I create and contribute to an education IRA for a neice or nephew? >>

If you meet the AGI limits and no one else has contributed the max to their Education IRAs, yes. (This is not affected by nor does it affect anything in your post, if that's what you were thinking.)

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.