Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< Help, I just retired, and I need to move my 401k. I would like to invest on my own, but I don't know how to get my 401k working. Do I roll it into an ira? how do I get the cash needed to invest from (it) without getting taxed? >>

Yes, you can roll your 401(k) into a traditional IRA without tax consequence. The best way to do this is a direct transfer from the 401(k) to the IRA, without your touching the money. Contact the 401(k) plan administrator to arrange the transfer.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.