Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
<< I agree with your reasoning, but the question that immediately strikes me is: if there was such a killer app/advantage, why wouldn't QCOM come out with it now? >>

Well, 3G isn't here yet, and the infrastructure that would allow those services isn't in place today...so perhaps we'll have to wait? Really, I look for Q's development of 3G CDMA and/or W-CDMA chipsets to be an on-going process...I can just foresee Q locking-in members of the value chain by adding proprietary applications to its chipsets that they just gotta' have to be competitive in their respective businesses. This sort of cutting edge product differentiation is what can logically be foreseen from the leader in any particular space, and QCOM is clearly the leader in CDMA chip design.

Regarding W-CDMA, again, there is no evidence to my mind that anyone owns or controls it, other than QCOM itself, by virtue of its "ownership" of CDMA. So, I don't feel that QCOM is competing with anyone in that respect. From the action in the Market of late, the message that CDMA2000 is the fastest and most effective path to take to 3G may be starting to gain traction. How nice to have Q keeping my portfolio afloat on days like this! ;)

rex

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.