Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
<< I am currently waiting for the completion of the Intel tender offer for Chips and Technologies, which
should occur very close to the end of 1997 or the beginning of 1998. How is the date of sale for
capital gains taxes determined if:

a) I tender my shares, or
b) don't tender my shares

Is the date in each case based on when I actually receive the proceeds of the sale? Or is it the same
for each case? >>

Sorry...must have missed this the first time through. My apologies.

Your BEST source of information for this question would be the Intel people. Since I'm not familar with this tender offer, I'm not aware of the "ins and outs" of the deal.

In general, you will recognize gain or loss in the year that your shares are sold or otherwise disposed of, regardless if this happens by you making a tender of your shares, or if your shares are simply "redeemed" by the company.

And that date may be different from the date that you actually receive the proceeds. For example: if you sell a stock with your broker, the sale is made (for tax purposes) on the TRADE date, but you'll not receive your funds until three days later on the settlement date.

But Intel should be able to give you some guidance regarding this issue. You might also want to drift over to the Intel folder. You might find that information there.

TMF Taxes
Roy

Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.