Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< I am filing a joint tax return. My son worked this past summer and earned about $1,000. His tax return shows that he has about $50 fed tax withheld. Thus, would I be able to add his earning of $1000 to my joint tax return to get back the $50 tax that's withheld? >>

No, you can't. Your son can file and, assuming that his earnings were his only income, get a full refund.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.