Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< I currently have a Roth IRA that i opened last year through an insurance company. I'm not happy with the returns that im getting.

I want to know how to put that money into some better performing mutual funds and single stocks. I'd like to add it in to my online brokerage account. Do i just fill out the forms with the new brokerage or is there something else that i must do? >>

You'll need a separate account at your brokerage for the IRA. Start with the brokerage, which can provide the paperwork and instructions for the transfer. One caution before you start. I don't know what you're currently invested in with the insurance company, but you should check to see what it's going to cost you to change before you do so.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.