Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< I have a friend who is drawing a small (~$550) per month SS Benefit. Needless to say, she needs additional income, so she has a tiny business answering telephones which nets her after expenses ~$3,000 per year, and for which she has to file a Schedule C. She owes no income tax, obviously, but she has to pay ~$460 Self Employment Tax. She is over 70 and therefore does not report her earnings to SS, and has no way of collecting any additional benefits from SS. >>

Actually she does report these earnings to SSA. IRS passes the Schedule SE information along to SSA for crediting to the earnings records.

Sorry, but there is no age exemption from SE tax.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.