Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< I have all my bank statements from last year. So, I calculated all the money I gave to churches I attended and was planning to write that off. Can I do this write off just on the basis of those checks on bank statements? >>

1. You can deduct church contributions if you itemize deductions on Schedule A. (If you don't itemize on Federal but have a state income tax, check the instructions. Some may allow a deduction even if you don't itemize, but only for state purposes.)

2. If any single donation is $250 or more, you have to have a receipt from the recipient before you file your return.

3. You don't have to have cancelled checks. Your register and statements are sufficient, and if you HAD to have the checks, you could get them later.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.