Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< I just came into a chunk of change from a relative's estate (a 401k which I rolled over into my name) and I would like to invest in the Foolish 4 or other sound method other than Mutuals....the problem is that I can't find any guidelines stating what I can or cannot trade regarding individual stocks, options, etc. >>

Did you receive this money in 2000? AFAIK you cannot roll a decedent's 401(k) into anything unless the decedent was your spouse. It's a taxable distribution to you, and you will have to pay income tax on it for the year you receive it.

The good news is that once it's been distributed to you, you can do anything you want with it, but in a taxable account.

These issues are covered more fully in IRS Publications 575 and 590 and the Tax Strategies board's FAQ.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.