No. of Recommendations: 0
<< I moved my 401Ks into a Self-Directed IRA where I can manage the funds. I have started doing the same with my wife's, but one of her retirements funds is in TIAA-CREFF and is an annuity. >>

Best thing to do is call TIAA-CREF at 1-800-842-2733. It's more complicated than they let us know. I'm getting ready to retire and tearing my hair out right now.
Although TIAA emphasizes the "portability" when we move from participating institution to institution, what they don't tell you is how hard it may be to move your annuity funds to a self-directed IRA.
First of all, each university has different rules that apply. My annuity is based on funds from two different schools, 1/3 of the total from the first school. Their rules will only allow me to roll over 10% per year after I retire. The second school will only allow me to roll over 1/3 of the amount applied since I've been working there. Thus, even after 59 1/2, I can only roll over about 25% of the total value of my annuity.
Since you are not yet retirement age, I doubt your wife can do anything. My suggestion would be to find out what special rules apply to her contract, maximize the management of her TIAA-CREF funds, but most of all call TIAA-CREF.
It may not hurt to have a portion of your retirement funds remain in TIAA. The good news is that I was ultraconservative and will be very well taken care of. Hope this is helpful.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.