Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< I opened a Tradtional IRA last year because I needed a $2000 tax write off for 1999. I eventually would like to convert it into a Roth. When and how is the best way for me to do this >>

If you're going to do it, do it as soon as you can pay the tax due from the conversion income with non-IRA funds. The law allows you to convert in any year for which your AGI is less than $100,000 and you don't file Married, Filing Separately. The sooner you convert, the sooner the further earnings become tax-free.

<< and is it allowable/advantageos for me to keep one of each? >>

Allowable yes. Advantageous depends on you. There are a number of articles about IRAs that you might want to check out in the FAQ of the Tax Strategies board.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.