Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< I was informed that I can ONLY buy into ROTH IRA when I can show earned income. At present time I'm providing gardening services, selling plants,home grown vegetables and fruit, babysitting, house sitting for $$

Question #1. How do I report my earning? >>

Earnings from self-employment are reported on Schedule C. Wages from domestic employment are reported on line 7 of the 1040. From the limited information provided, the only thing I'd feel fairly sure about is that the sales are self-employment. The gardening services probably are self-employment, and the babysitting and housesitting may very well be domestic employment wages. There is guidance in IRS Publication 533.

Question #2. Do I need a business license to do what I 'm doing. >>

That depends on local law.

<< I only wanted to show earned income ($2000-$2005/year)sohat I can buy into ROTH IRA? Question #3. Is that OK? >>

Is is OK to only earn $2,000? Sure. Is it OK to report only $2,000 if you earned more? No. Is it OK to report $2,000 when you didn't earn it? No.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.