No. of Recommendations: 1
<<I would SERIOUSLY like a link or more info on this. Seriously! Being that I am of Finnish background, and have read quite a bit about the Winter War against Russia, I really don't think the US helped Finland one bit....BUT if you have any info on that I would really like to know.>>--H

My information came directly from the mouths of some well-connected Finnish folks I had the pleasure of working with. I didn't know about it aside from that, of course, as it happened before I was born. As I was told, the "aid" was quietly delivered, filtered through a neutral European country. I suspect enough time has passed to dampen any sensitivity about it, but I still would not want to name that country here. I'm sure that, with not too difficult an inquiry, you can get the rest of the story.

I don't vouch for the following--it's just something that turned up on a quick Google search--but it corroborates, more or less, what I was told directly:

<<The Russo Finnish war has been covered on ETV and/or PBS and you could probably get videos from those sources. I remember that the US sent some 50 obsolete fighters to Finland and maybe some aid. The last I remember, Finland was the only nation in the world to pay us back for the war time support we provided. Britain still owes us for several wars back to 1812.>>

http://www.pasty.com/discuss/messages/1779/2238.html?WednesdaySeptember320030945pm

/s/ S.T.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.