Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< If one does a lot of buying and selling of stock on short term and the person is considered a trader under the tax law and it is taxed as ordinary income does this count toward income earned for social security purposes? >>

"Trader" status is a term of art in tax law. Traders report on Schedule C, the bottom line of which feeds Schedule SE, which is where self-employment tax is calculated. Yes, this income is net earnings from Social Security and credited to your earnings record.

You can read a lot more about trader status at and on the Tax Strategies message board here at TMF.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.