Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< I'm about to start my own home-based business, what can I do to contine my 401 even though I'm self employed,or
is that the end of my 401?.If it is, how can I secure
what I've accrued as of yet?? >>

Since you're no longer an employee, you can't contribute any more to the 401(k). However, as a self-employed person, you have a lot of retirement account options. See IRS Publication 560. There is also a lot of information in the Tax Strategies board's FAQ.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.