Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
<< ....most non-cardiologists simply aren't that good at using them (stethoscopes) anyway. >>

Well, most cardiologists are that good at using them either! ;-)

All joking aside, stethoscopes yield very little information even in the best of hands....err...ears. When you hear an abnormality with a stethoscope, what do you order? And echocardiogram (cardiac ultrasound).

<< ... (you) need ultrasound gel to use the Butterly. >>

Not really. A few drops of water on the skin work just as well. That's a trick taught me by one of our locals radiologists. But I'm guessing you knew that, right? You're moniker is IRdoc. I assume you're an Interventional Radiologist.

<< I don't know how many people are going to be willing to pay a monthly fee.... >>

As of now, the required app to use the Butterly is free; the fee allows you to use their cloud-based storage. At any rate, it's a nominal fee.

<< Are people going to save images.... >>

We save our images, but no one has ever looked at them in retrospect. For now, it's a formality.

<< Most people never learned how to use them (ultrasounds). >>

I honestly believe using an ultrasound will become part of all medical training. It is already widely taught in many (most?) residency programs.

<< Alan, how are you doing your procedures? Do you use real time ultrasound guidance? Do you have a stand for the display device? >>

I use the Butterfly for virtually all of my real-time procedures (nerve blocks: central line and arterial line placement; difficult peripheral IV starts; volume status). I just lay my cell phone on the bed/patient nest to the procedure site.

Alan
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.