Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< My 9 year old son won a trip valued at $2,500. WE recieved a 1099-Misc form. Should we file this with our taxes or a file separate for him? >>

1. Regardless of where it winds up, make sure that it's really worth $2,500. It's not unheard of for prizes to be overvalued.

2. Because of your emphasis on "we," I assume it's not your son's SSN that's on the 1099. In that case you're likely to get an inquiry down the road from the IRS if you don't include it on your return. (That doesn't mean you should include it, just keep your records so you can easily respond.)

3. Who really won the prize? If it was your son, you should file a return for him and report it there.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.