No. of Recommendations: 1
<< My comments were aimed at the original poster, who appears to be:

A) Not well-informed by her "advisor" as to what this product is or why she might need it (can you hear the alarm bells yet?)
>>

Hmmmm??? Why . . .because she says “I have read both positive and negative articles on equity-indexed annuities but I'm curious to hear from someone who has actually invested in this, or something like it.”?

That conclusion seems pretty far fetched.

<< B) Suspicious enough to ask on this site (rightly so, IMO) >>

I don't see anything is her statement that suggests “suspicion”. However, I do see a healthy skepticism that all should have when listening to ANYONE. To me, it just looks like a simple request for some feedback.
brewer12345,

<< C) Apparently about to be lead out to the woodshed by an advisor eager to sell her a high commission product >>

And what evidence in her post suggests THAT . . . . just the fact that she listening to an advisor and trying to get some feedback to help measure the facts being presented to her?

<< If she really needs a fixed annuity, then let her buy one from a competitive source. If, OTOH, she really needs a variable or equity indexed monstrosity, then she should at least know what it is and why she needs it. >>

Somehow, I get the feeling that you simply don't know what this “equity index monstrosity” is or much about them yourself - and therefore, your adamant objections to them. You tend to mention them in the same breath as variable annuities and they're NOT anything like a variable annuity (aside from the fact that they're an annuity).

EIA's are much more like Fixed Annuities and little like variables. If your main objection includes “high fees”, then you're way off the mark in the same way as if you said this about a fixed annuity. Since you really don't say anything specific, I'm having a difficult time understanding your animosity in this area.

<< The fact that she doesn't understand the product or why she needs it is a clear sign that (at best) the advisor isn't doing a very good job. >>

Well, we really don't know just how much she doesn't understand, do we? What we do know it that the reading material she was given is “very confusing” to her. This is not unusual for anyone who hasn't studied this kind of stuff for a couple of years. We don't know if she's in the beginning of this process or at the end. If she's at the end of it and still confused, then I might agree with you. But if she's at the beginning . . .it's NOT that the advisors isn't doing a “very good job”, it just part of the learning process. So, it seems you're really just jumping to conclusion without enough evidence to support it.

<< Just a brief question: Are you an advisor/planner/broker/insurance salesperson? >>

Yes, all of the above.

<< No insult or shading intended, I'm just curious. >>

The question certainly does not insult me. Why would it? And, over the years you should have seen many of my posts hear and checking my personal profile should have satisfied that curiosity. Huh? ;-)
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.