Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< My father died on Feb. 02, 1999. This was before the 1998 tax returns were due ( April 15). My mother filed a joint return, stating on the form that her husband had deceased. Since my father lived a little over one month in 1999, and therefore had some limited income via social security, his retirement plan, and interest income, how must my mother file?
The IRS already knows that my father deceased. So, can she file her tax return including my father's income, or must 2 forms be filed - one for my father and one for my mother? It's a little confusing. >>

Assuming that your mother did not remarry in 1999, she files a joint return, which includes the personal exemption and income of your father.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.