No. of Recommendations: 0
<< One other thing that I believe that you forgot, daeschli, is one of the first rules of Fooldom which is that you can make your own investments cheaper then Mutual funds. Or stated another way, you will loose more money to the expense ratio of mutual funds and the poorer return on investment that companies let you choose from for your 401K then you will have if you had invested in QQQ, SPY, and/or DIA.

So, if the above statement is correct, then, the CAGR of 10% could be a good number for the tax-deferred account but in the taxable account, using a very conservative 1% additional return, you have an after tax Tax-deferred account vs Taxable account $125,636/$126,099. Not much different but MORE IS BETTER. I believe that in that 30-year period you will get a better return then 1% increase. Take control of you own investments >>

Sorry, you missed the point. I was not advocating sticking with mutual funds rather than stocks (see my aside on self-directed 401Ks). What I was pointing out was that *all other things being equal*, capital gains taxes are an additional cost of a taxable account when compared alongside a tax-deferred account. This is important, for example, for those who are considering investing in a taxable S&P500 index fund in a taxable account so they can get their hands on the money, as opposed to investing in the same fund in their IRA. In that case you need to compare the capital gains taxes against the early withdrawal penalty.

What you should have pointed out was that if you *do* wait until retirement before withdrawing the money, you need to compare the capital gains taxes (for your long-term buy and hold taxable account) with ordinary income taxes (for your tax deferred account withdrawals). If your investments have done well, paying the capital gains taxes may seem like a good deal considering the alternative.

Dan
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.