Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< Please pardon this question, but I am a newbie on this board. Here is my problem: three years ago I worked for Capital One (COF) and took part in the stock purchase plan. Other than my IRA and 401K, I had never before invested in securities, so I did not know to keep records of the shares that I bought. Earlier this year, after the 3-1 split, I sold two-thirds of my COF holdings and diversified my portfolio. I just got the tax form for the shares I sold, and I am not sure what to do now. Although I did very well with COF, I don't know if I have to declare ALL of the money I made as income. Or maybe I do, I just have no experience here. Should I hire a tax preparer? >>

A paid preparer is going to know less than you do about what you paid for the stock. Perhaps the administrator of COF's ESPP could help you reconstruct what you paid for the shares.

For general information about basis, see the FAQ for this board or type "basis" in the search box and hang on.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.