Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< The maximum IRA annual contribution is $2000, provided there is at least $2000 in "earned income" for the year. Does the conversion amount into a Roth IRA count as "earned income"? This amount is being treated as earned income which was previously tax deferred, but is now taxable. If the conversion was spread out over four years, can you use each year's dollar figure towards the earned income minimum in that year? >>

Nice try, but no. You already used that money as qualifying earned income once. You don't get to use it again.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.