Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
<< There you go with that career word again, huh? <g>...To be honest I was actually talking about Haiti (a subject that I've only scratched the surface on and one that has caused me tremendous grief)... >>

Well, then I'm admittedly baffled...I can't figure out where you're coming from, exactly.

Regarding Bob Kerrey and his role in what has been described as everything from a mistake to an atrocity - I found his responses to Brokaw's questions to be ambiguous and circuitous. Regardless of whose account one chooses to believe, the fact remains that Bob Kerrey accepted a Bronze Star for his role in the incident and never divulged the truth of the matter. He states now that the report his outfit filed about the incident was not the report the military cited when they awarded that medal; in effect, Kerrey is saying that the military insisted in awarding him a medal he knew he didn't deserve, but had no choice but to accept.

Brokaw: “There you were on a dangerous mission, dark night, no moon in the middle of the jungle and you came across people you thought were an outpost of some kind.”

Kerrey: “That's correct.”

Brokaw: “And before you took fire, you fired on them.”

Kerrey: “Yes.”

Brokaw: “And you later discovered about those people what?”

Kerrey: “Well, I'm not sure — it's been reported to me now through one of the men that were there that night that they were women and children as well. That it was — two older guys and — but so I don't know. I don't know what the details are. We just got it from — it's different from what I thought that night. That night I — they came back and said there are outposts out here and we either kill them or we can't continue on the operation. And I thought the operation was officially important and that was an appropriate action to take.”

Brokaw: “And one of the squad members has now said that they were killed at point blank range by your men.”

Kerrey: “That's correct.”

Brokaw: “Is that true?”

Kerrey: “No, that is not true. I mean we were fired upon and we returned fire...

I'm hearing two different accounts...and as far as it being "reported to me now through one of the men that were there that night that they were women and children as well", that sounds like Nixon before the tapes confirmed that he knew exactly what went on during the Watergate cover-up, and in fact orchestrated the whole thing himself.

I don't say that Kerrey is Nixon - geez, for all I know Nixon's a hero to the denizens of these boards - but I find it hard to believe that a guy can be tormented for a lifetime by an event, the actual details of which he cannot recall. And, despite Kerrey's assertion that he has never "bragged" about his medals, they were used by his campaign staff, with his full knowledge, to promote his various campaigns for office. There are many "war heros" in public office, and Bob Kerrey certainly isn't the first to parlay his wartime exploits into a successful bid for public office.

As I wrote in another post, I think war is practiced, sanctioned insanity with lethal consequences. I find it tragic that so many lives are taken on both sides, and so many other lives are wrecked by the experience...and that none of those lives ever belong to the men who conceive and direct the horror. Never has this been more evident than during and after our involvement in the Vietnam War.

There are many Bob Kerreys out there.

rex

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.