Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
<<ASTE's total debt to equity ratio is 0.38. Is that considered a high level? I don't have a frame of reference for evaluating that.>>

The total debt to equity ratio is important, but I think the LTD to Equity ratio is a little more illustrative of the potential "problem".

Fools Requirement: 0.00
ASTE 0.37
Industry 0.72
Sector 0.81
S&P 500 0.69

The short term portion of the "total" debt to equity is difficult to anaylise becase it includes quick payables, when there may be sizable cash to absorb. In my opinion, LTD/Equity provides a better apples to apples comparison.

As set out above, ASTE is actually quite good compared to an "average" company. Should interest rates increase, or the market pull-back, it will be postured quite well compared to "average" companies.

However, my understanding of the Fool's philosophy on small-cap growth companies is that no LTD provides a company the ability to finance rapid growth through NEW debt should the opportunity arise. In short, ASTE has already used up $54 millon of its purchasing/financing opportunity. This rapid growth opportunity has already been utilized.

Given Congresses continued increase in road funds, and ASTE's position in the marketplace, I think it will continue to have superior growth.

However, I do not think that you will see exponential growth that we often hope for with Foolish companies.

FYI, the Total Debt/Equity ratios are as follows: .38 (ASTE); .87(Industry); 1.05 (Sector); and 1.00 (S&P 500).

Cheers,

Matt

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.