Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
<<Beginning '99, I was awarded a small part of the ex's annuity, which entitled me to obtain health insurance. It says "Taxable amount not determined".
There are no instructions as to how to determine the taxable amount, or where I am supposed to file this.>>'ll have to deal with the ex in order to find out more about the annuity contract. How the distributions were taken (and if they were taken via a QDRO) will make a difference.

If all else fails, you might have to deal with the annuity company directly. If you can't PROVE your basis in the contract somehow, you'll have no basis and the entire amount will be taxable (and potentially subject to penalty).

TMF Taxes

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.