Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 7
<<but it needs to be combined with sane laws and attitudes regarding naturalization.>>

No, it doesn't.

As I understand it, the Japanese law will permit foreign people to work in Japan for a five year term, after which they are expected to return to their home country. A Japanese "Bracero" program, if you will.

Of course, that will get complicated when those folks marry and have children with Japanese nationals while working in Japan. One can imagine such temporary workers playing every available angle to stay in Japan despite the expiration of their permit, just as happens in the United States. But there is no reason you can't have a system of temporary residency.

And I doubt that Japan will have judges busily undermining the law as happens routinely in the United States. They may actually decide to enforce it with some rigor.

Seattle Pioneer
Print the post  


This is a Politics Free Board
Politically charged posts are not permitted on the Metar Board. If you make a political post, and it is alerted, the post will be removed. Thanks!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.