No. of Recommendations: 0
<<Don't know your situation but if you're feeling burned out, it might be helpful to look in the mirror and tell yourself: these poor souls around me will most of them be stuck either here, or at a simliar company, for way more than 5 more years...long, long after I'm living a slower, less hectic, less stressful life with much more freedom from external demands and control, these folks will still be here...even if it's not
the people around you who are the source of the burned-out feeling, just the extra feeling of compassion for them might be helpful in dealing with whatever the actual source of the burnout feelings is...Or maybe I'm way off..just some thoughts..>>

Heh...I do feel sorry for some of the people I work with that are staring 50 in the face and keep talking about how they wish they could retire at 55 but know they will need to keep on trudging along until at least 65.

Then there are those who are in their 40's and 50's and like spending 40-60 hours a week doing what they do and can't imagine retiring anytime soon. To them I say great! Everyone needs to know themselves and do what makes them happy, not necessarily what everybody else says is the proper thing to do. I know without a doubt that I will be a happy FIRE person. I can take several weeks off from work, do nothing but hang around my area and do activities I enjoy doing and have no remorse at all at not being at work.

<<There is always the other opposite danger..that we keep talking ourselves out of is and don't do it until 4, 5 or more years later than we needed to have...and later regret that we were in the daily grind for that many more years than necessary. OVerall though I think it's prudent to err on the side of making sure you have 20+ in your ratio AND have several prospect PT jobs EACH of which has hours, and working conditions, that would truely and honestly be far less stressful, while breaking even with living expenses...>>

This is one thing I want to avoid too. Time is precious and these are years I will never get back. On the flip side, making the jump too soon can be disastrous to security in one's later years when working is impossible due to age and health reasons. That is why I'm picking a ratio of 28 to 1 as far as investments to yearly budget. 25 to 1 most likely will be safe for a 40+ year retirement, and I'd feel really secure with a 33 to 1 ratio but am not sure I want to put in the extra working years to achieve this. A 28-30/1 ratio is a happy medium for me, although I reserve the right to change my mind in 5-8 years. :)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.