Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
<<Her school system designates Tax Sheltered Annuity (TSA) providers that are authorized to receive payments into 403B accounts. Initially these were all insurance companies offering annuities but three years ago they added an option to invest in mutual funds.>>

I am glad to see that someone else has dealt with such a horrible system. My wife's former employer had a similar arrangement for their 403b but the only choices were insurance company TSA annuity accounts. She invested in an Aetna annuity that was supposed to be investing in Twentieth Century's Growth fund. No matter how much 20th Century Growth goes up, her annuity account shows essentially no growth. She stopped working there but felt sort of trapped by the fee for terminating the annuity. We have since realized that paying Aetna 5% to go away is a relative bargain compared to sticking with a massively underperforming investment.

My bias is that in general annuities are horrible investments. In a tax sheltered account where you are getting no tax benefit they are worse.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.