Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
<<Hi all, newbie here:) My question is, which do you prefer - contracting or accepting a full-time position? I know it's a general question, depending on the individual and on many different factors. But I'm in a situation where the consulting firm I worked for 3 years laid me off in Nov 2002, then hired me as a contractor in Jan 2003, and I've been working for them as a contractor ever since (with a few weeks of downtime since). They've asked me to consider coming back full-time. >>

Do you have other clients, or do you spend all your time working for your ex employer? If you are spending most or all your time with your ex, I'd say go back to work as an employee.

If you have other clients and are willing to seek out and obtain other work, keep your skills updated and really be an independent consultent, there is a lot to be said for really being independent, if you like that responsibility. If you don't or don't do it well, be an employee.

Seattle Pioneer
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.