Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<<How can I find out about getting my Dad on Medicaid (or Medical as we call it in California)? >>

My husband moved his mother from her home in Little Rock to here in Florida when she became unable to walk. She is in a nursing home, and we had to apply for new medicaid for her here in Florida.

Being totally ignorant of all things in that area, we did it by getting in the blue (gov't) pages of the phone book and calling anything that sounded relevant until someone gave us the right number. In FL it turned out to be Dept of Children and Family Services (go figure). Call from next to your Dad's file cabinet -- they want to know EVERYTHING, all assets of any kind, complete financial disclosure. Plus, after he's on it, they want to be notified if you change any assets, such as cashing in a CD or buying a prepaid funeral.

It's a good idea to get your Dad's financial and medical power of attorney as soon as possible, with the understanding that is won't be used until necessary.

My husband's mother's nursing home also gave us a Do Not Resusitate form for her to sign, but we decided not to since other than not being able to walk she is in pretty good health for 80 and has no painful or terminal disease.
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.