Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
<<How do you go about finding somebody to help with taxes (issues incl. recent marriage, cap. gains, investments, desire to by a house) in San Francisco, CA? What cerfifications should I look for?>>

Much depends upon your needs and requirements. It appears that what you identify here is pretty straight forward, and shouldn't require any unique specialization in any specific area.

A tax attorney would likely be a bit high powered for what you actually need.

A CPA (Certified Public Accountant) or EA (Enrolled Agent) might be more up your alley.

I believe that the best way to find a tax geek is to ask for references from a friend or relative or business associate. Somebody that is in (or at least close to) your situation.

I have an article in the Taxes FAQ area regarding looking for a tax professional and accountant. You might want to check it out for additional thoughts.

TMF Taxes
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.